Request an Appointment
Skip to content


What is a podiatrist?

A podiatrist is a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), specializing in the treatment of the foot and ankle. Although podiatrists are know as “foot doctors”, they are highly trained health care providers that often are the first to diagnose systemic problems that affect the feet and ankles such as diabetes, gout, arthritis, vascular diseases, and others. Podiatrists attend 4 years of medical school followed by residency training in areas of surgery, wound care, and biomechanics.

What is Dr. Hoyal’s training?

Dr. Hoyal graduated with honors from the California College of Podiatric Medicine in 1996. He then completed residencies in Tacoma, WA and Long Beach, CA where he was trained in surgery of the foot and ankle and in wound care.
He is also Board Certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgery.

When do I need to see a podiatrist?

If you are in pain, have a wound, or show signs of an infection you need to be seen by your podiatrist immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment. Signs of infection include pain, redness, warmth, swelling, and purulent drainage. Fever (>100 without any known reason) and chills may also be evident.

Some people are at greater risk of limb or life threatening problems than others. If you are diabetic, have peripheralneuropathy, peripheral vascular diseases, or other conditions that compromise your health you should be seen on a regular basis to prevent complications.

We all have bumps and bruises that heal within a short period of time. when an injury does not seem to heal despite our “home treatments” you should see your podiatrist.

What do I need to bring to my first appointment?

You will be asked to fill out information about your helath, medications and insurance. It is helpful to bring a copy of your medication list for our records. You will also need to bring your Health Insurance or Medicare Cards. The office staff will make a photocopy for our records. If you have test results from other facilities such as x-rays and MRI this will facilitate your diagnosis and treatment.


How do I avoid Ingrown nails?

Ingrown nails are commonly caused by improperly cutting or tearing the toenail. It can also be difficult to cut nails that curl, or incurvate, on the sides. If the nail is not trimmed completely in the corners a rough or jagged edge, called a spicule, may cut the skin and grow into the tissue. Infections frequently occur. Cutting the nail straight across helps prevent problems in the nail corners. Even rounding the corners slightly is acceptable as long as the nail edge is smooth. If you have difficulty with ingrown nails don’t hesitate to call your podiatrist.

My heels are dry and cracked, what can I do?

You can minimize the drying and cracking of the skin by frequently using a pumice stone and a moisturizer. Wearing socks will also help. If the cracking is severe or painful you should see your podiatrist for treatment. Sometimes severe dryness of the skin on your feet is a result of a fungal infection.

How do I know if I should have my bunions fixed?

Bunions are the unsightly bumps at the base of the big toe joint. Sometimes the big toe will deviate towards the 2nd toe causing other problems. If you have pain from shoes, have pain with motion of the big toe, or you avoid activities because of pain see your podiatrist for treatment options.

If I have pain under the balls of my feet, what is the cause?

There may be a number of causes including calluses, arthritis, and pinched nerves. If wearing a soft insole and properly fitting shoes do not help you should see your podiatrist for evaluation and treatment.

I have pain in my heel. What is this and what can be done?

Heel pain is often from an injury to the plantar fascia. Rest, anti-inflammatories, and stretching should be the initial treatment. Supportive shoes should also be worn. Pain on the back of the heel may be from a bone spur. Wearing shoes that avoid pressure on the spur is helpful. If the pain continues you should see your podiatrist for a thorough examination and treatment.

How do I treat a sprained ankle?

Immediately after an injury apply the RICE treatment: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. You should see your podiatrist as soon as possible for evaluation. Fractures can occur with “just a sprain”. If you frequently sprain your ankles you should wear ankle braces to protect your ankles from further damage. Consult with your podiatrist about treatment options for chronic ankle sprains.

My child has flat feet. Should this be treated?

There are many people with flat feet who never have a problem with their feet. However, there are some problems that can be caused by flat feet. If you have a family history of flat feet, bunions, hammertoes, or pain in the feet, legs, or knees you should be seen for evaluation and treatment. Good orthotics provided by your podiatrist can be very effective in relieving your symptoms.


What are orthotics?

Orthotics are devices, either prefabricated or custom made, that fit into your shoes to support the arch. They are commonly called arch supports. They can be made of different materials depending on the need. Orthotics are designed to control foot function resulting in improved function, relief of pain, and protection from further injury. Your podatrist will help recommend an orthotic that best fits your needs.

What is the Diabetic Shoe Program and how can I take advantage of it?

Diabetic patients are at risk of developing ulcers that can be difficult to heal. Too frequently this results in infection, surgery, hospitalization, and loss of limb. To help prevent these problems our office participates in the Medicare Diabetic Shoe Program. Many patients with diabetes qualify for shoes covered by Medicare. You are welcome to contact our office for more information regarding your benefits with this program.

How often should I replace my running shoes?

It is a good idea to replace your shoes every three to four months if you run an average of 25 miles a week. Also keep in mind that a heavier runner should change every 350 miles, while someone lighter is around 550 miles.


Do you bill my insurance carrier?

We do accept most insurance plans. Please check with our office of your insurance carrier to verify that we participate in your plan. We will bill your primary, secondary and tertiary plan if necessary.

What do I do if I need to cancel my appointment?

If you need to cancel your appointment it is important you give at least 24 hours notice by phone or if we are unavailable, please leave a message. Charges may be incurred if proper notice is not received.

Where is Dr. Hoyal’s office located?

Dr. Hoyal’s office is at 1798 North State Street in Orem, Utah. His office phone number is (801) 224-6464. The office is on the east side of State Street just south of Westco Carpets.

Skip to content